1. USDHHS. Reducing the Health Consequences of Smoking: 25 Years of Progress. US Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Centers for Disease Control, Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health, 1989. DHHS Publication No. (CDC) 89-8411.
2. Tobacco Institute. Ingredients Added to Cigarettes Washington DC: Tobacco Institute, 1994.
3. Tilley N. The Bright-Tobacco Industry , 1860–1929. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1948.
4. Tso TC. Production, Physiology, and Biochemistry of Tobacco Plant. Beltsville, MD: IDEALS, Inc., 1990.
5. Spears A, Jones S. Chemical and physical criteria for tobacco leaf of modern day cigarettes. Recent Adv Tobacco Sci 1981;7:19–39.
6. American Health Foundation. Comments on Tobacco Additives. Valhalla, NY: American Health Foundation, 1990.
7. House Commerce Committee. Cigarette Labeling and Advertising—1969. US House of Representatives, Committee on Interstate and Foreign Commerce, 1969. Serial No. 91 (12–12A).
8. A safer cigarette reported possible. New York Times 1969 April 30:48.
9. Tobacco industry will aid tests on chemical said to cut cancer. New York Times 1969 August 31:43.
10. Wagner S. Cigarette Country: Tobacco in American History and Politics. New York: Praeger, 1971.
11. Voges E. Tobacco Encyclopedia. Mainz, Germany: Tobacco Journal International, 1984.
12. Hoffmann D, Hoffmann I. On the reduction of nicotine in cigarette smoke. In: Wald N, Froggatt P, eds. Nicotine, Smoking and the Low Tar Programme (pp. 200–211). Oxford, England: Oxford University Press, 1989.
13. R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Co. Chemical and Biological Studies on New Cigarette Prototypes That Heat Instead of Burn Tobacco. Winston-Salem, NC: R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Co., 1988.
14. Slade J. Nicotine delivery devices. In: Orleans C, Slade, J. eds. Nicotine Addiction: Principles and Management , pp. 3–23. New York: Oxford University Pres, 1993.
15. USDHEW. Smoking and Health. Report of the Advisory Committee to the Surgeon General of the Public Health Service. US Department of Health, Education and Welfare, 1964. Public Health Service Publication No. 1103.