1. Fischer S, Spiegelhalder B, Preussmann R. Tobacco-specific nitrosamines in commercial cigarettes: Possibilities for reducing exposure. In: O'Neill I, Chen J, Bartsch H, eds. Relevance to Human Cancer of N-Nitroso Compounds, Tobacco Smoke and Mycotoxins (pp. 489–492). Lyon: International Agency for Research on Cancer, 1991.
2. Slade J. The tobacco epidemic: Lessons from history. J Psychoactive Drugs 1989;21:281–291.
3. Wynder E. Testimony before the Subcommittee of Legal and Monetary Affairs. Committee on Government Operations, US House of Representatives, 1957.
4. Blacklock J. An experimental study of the pathological effects of cigarette condensate in the lungs with special reference to carcinogenesis. Brit J Cancer 1961;15:745–762.
5. Wynder E, Graham E, Croninger A. Experimental production of carcinoma with cigarette tar. Cancer Res 1953;13:855–864.
6. Wynder E, Hoffman D. Tobacco and Tobacco Smoke. New York: Academic Press, 1967.
7. USDHHS. Reducing the Health Consequences of Smoking: 25 Years of Progress. US Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Centers for Disease Control, Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health, 1989. DHHS Publication No. (CDC) 89-8411.
8. P. Lorillard announces a new cigaret filter; keeps goals a secret. Wall Street Journal 1962 May 23:7;2.
9. Lorillard's new filter said to stem from test on phenols' ill effects. Firm says filter enables cilia to expel, unimpeded, particles from frogs' breathing canals. Wall Street Journal 1962 May 28:16;2.
10. Wynder E, Hoffman D. A study of tobacco carcinogenesis: VIII. The role of the acidic fractions as promoters. Cancer 1961;14:1306–1315.
11. Miller L, Monahan J. Facts we're not told about filter-tips. Reader's Digest 1961 July:71–78.
12. Fisher RA. Dangers of cigarette smoking. Brit Med J 1957;2:297–298.
13. Thornton R. Smoking articles. US Patent No. 3,614,956. Assigned to Brown and Williamson Tobacco Corp., 1971.
14. Federal Trade Commission. Findings as to the Facts and Conclusions. In the Matter of P. Lorillard Company, a Corporation. Federal Trade Commission, 1958. Docket No. 4922.
15. Hoffmann D, Lavoie E, Hecht S. Nicotine: A precursor for carcinogens. Cancer Letters 1985;26:67–75.
16. Litzinger E. Tobacco smoke filter material. U.S. Patent 3,828,800. Assigned to Brown and Williamson Tobacco Corp., 1974.
17. Otolski G. Cigarette firms find unlikely ally in adversary. Louisville Courier-Journal 1994 August 10:A6, A10.
18. Taylor P. The Smoke Ring: Tobacco, Money, and Multi-national Politics. New York: Pantheon Books, 1984.